How this recipe came about is kinda funny. One night I was cleaning up in the living room and Josh had Ghostbusters II on. It came to the part where the nerdy Louis and the sassy Janine were babysitting and apparently gave the baby French Bread Pizza. When I heard Janine say “french bread pizza” I thought “hmmm… that sounds really good” and decided to make it for dinner.
While this may not be a super healthy recipe, it is a super easy recipe and literally only takes 10 minutes from start to finish. Excellent for those extra busy nights.
Start by slicing your loaf of bread down the center lengthwise. You don’t necessarily have to use french bread, I actually used a loaf of Italian bread when making this.
Once you have your loaf sliced in half and on a cookie sheet, spread the pizza sauce over the bread. I use about half of a can of Chef Boyardee Pizza sauce. You can add more or less depending on your preference. I don’t like a lot of sauce on my pizza so I use a little less. You can always use the left over sauce to dip in if someone likes a bit more sauce.
Next is cheese! I LOVE CHEESE so I use the whole 8 oz bag of cheese. I prefer the finely shredded cheese, it melts very nicely.
After the cheese is in place, it’s time for other toppings. My husband is a huge pepperoni fan so I do half with pepperoni. I prefer just cheese.
Finally, I put this in the oven under the broiler. I set it on high and the wrack is normally in the center of the oven, not the very top. This was literally in there 5 minutes. It is warmed all the way through and the top looks delicious!
Hopefully you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. It is seriously a life saver when you need something quick and easy!
French Bread Pizza
- 1 Loaf French Bread
- ½ can Pizza Sauce
- 8 oz Shredded Italian Style Cheese
- 6 oz Pepperoni
- Preheat Broiler on High
- Slice French Bread loaf in half lengthwise.
- Place loaf of bread on baking sheet, cut side up.
- Spread pizza sauce on each side of the loaf of bread
- Sprinkle 4 oz. of cheese on each side of bread
- Arrange slices of pepperoni on top of cheese in a single layer.
- Place baking sheet into the oven, bake for 5 minutes under broiler until cheese is melty and slightly brown.
- Remove from oven and cut each half into 4 pieces.